Sunday, June 3, 2012


The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression
 In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?  This school year I have experienced more than one situation that relates to prejudice with my supervisor at work.  One was when he stated that I had been absent more than any teacher this school year.  This was totally untrue but, I felt that if I had made a comment are tried to defend myself it would appear disrespectful. I believe the incident diminished equity because it put me in a position were I felt I could not defend myself.  Even though it was not right for the supervisor to talk about or compare me to others during my personal evaluation.
 What feelings did this incident bring up for you?  I do feel life my feeling were oppressed and my rights were taken away from me.  The incident also, left me wondering about people that are in leadership roles.
  What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?  I believe supervisor should take an diversity class such as myself to be in a leadership role.  It would also, help for male supervisor to have on going professional development classes to help them learn how to communicate to women.

No comments:

Post a Comment