Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

One memory of an incident involving prejudice, bias and oppression that I have is of an over weight women that work at my same employment.  This woman is moved around each year due to her weight.  I understand that a building has to be schedule due to the concerns of the students.  But, others and I cannot help but see that in most of the cases that seemed not to be the problem in continuing to move this woman around as administration has done. I believe this is truly a prejudice because of this woman’s weight a bias against people over weight and a way of oppression to get her to give up and resign from her job.

I believe the ways that this specific bias, prejudice and oppression diminish equity is this woman feeling she has no recourse in fighting back.  If that means to find a lawyer or going to the “Nea” to help her make sense of what’s going on and to give her some help.  Another, way this incident diminishes equity is by keeping all of us quite and afraid to talk about it with someone of authority or even among each other it has silenced us all.

This incident brought feelings of feelings of oppression not having a voice.  Although, this is not directed at me, it makes me feel like “what if it was you.”  When I think about being a “slave” and the
“Slave” that got in trouble for no reason and all the ones who stood back in fear if they said something they would get it too.  This is how this makes me feel that I could get it too.  Although, I am not her size I am over weight.

I believe the leadership has to change to turn this situation into an opportunity for greater equity.  Someone needs to remove this leadership “that” will make a statement that this behavior will not be tolerated.  If, the leadership is not changed the only other way I see our staff has a chance is by professional development being brought in to bring awareness to this type of bias, prejudice and form of oppression.

7 comments:

  1. Audrey,
    What a shame that this woman has to go through this. I wonder what the administration sees in moving her so often and does she see it as oppression. Sometimes it is time to speak up regardless of the consequences. I completely understand what you are saying and I feel that you are saying you hands are tied. Be her friend and listen to her, that may help???
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,

      I am really torn in deciding if I should just leave this school or stay. I do believe this lady has to stand up for herself before anyone can say or do anything. I only looked at this as an oppression myself due to this class. Not, sure if she is aware of what maybe going on. I do listen to her as much as possible and try to encourage her to talk with someone. She only talks about how much time she has until retirement. At the end of this school year she says she's down to 2 years.

      Delete
  2. Audrey,

    Thanks for sharing. I don't think people usually consider overweight individuals when thinking of people who suffer from discrimination. I know I have never considered this before.

    Thanks for the thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    I did not consider over weight being more of an oppression. I knew discrimination is always a factor with some people. But, now I understand how oppression is used against people now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audry, I think you are right, there is a prejudice againt overweight people in this country. They become sterotyped as slow and unhealthy and as people who have no will power or self control. There are many medical reasons that cause a large amount of weight gain. As with Ageism, we lable things we are afraid of. Great post, I hope your friends finds a place where she is accepted and respected, no one should have to live or work in a place without respect

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey,
    Like the lady at your school I have lived the words of bias and prejudice about weight with my sister. She has suffered a lot of hurt because she is bigger. I feel for the teacher and I have also known a teacher in a similar situation. She is retiring this year, but she was moved several times. I'm not sure it was due to her weight. It was highschool math and she wasn't ever near the other teachers. She had only been at the school three years and in three years she moved three times never closer to the others. It can be hard to find a voice sometimes in fear of what we stand to loose ourselves. Sometimes though there is strength in numbers. Just something to remember. I hope for her sake and the sake of others who are oppressed due to their weight that those of us that are not can see their struggles and be a help not a hurt. I recently lost 56 lbs through weight watchers and exercise. I wanted my sister to be able to do it with me so bad, but because of her health problems it wasn't a good diet plan and the exercise i did wouldn't work for her. We haven't given up and she hasn't lost hope. Weight is a tough one and an easy one to offend. I'm thankful your colleague has a friend like you.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginny, you and the rest of my classmates have gave me some insight on how to maybe talk with my co-worker this coming school year if the conversation comes up again. I pray for your sister and my sister too, who is fighting to lose weight. I know also, as probably a lot of us how hard it is. I finally figured out years ago it is a constant struggle for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete