Sunday, June 3, 2012


Welcoming Families From Around the World
The capital of Togo is Lomé. From the 11th to the 16th century, various tribes entered the region from all directions. From the 16th century to the 18th century, the coastal region was a major trading centre for Europeans in search of slaves, earning Togo and the surrounding region the name "The Slave Coast". In 1884, Germany declared Togoland a protectorate. After World War I, rule over Togo was transferred to France. Togo gained its independence from France in 1960. In 2005, his son Faure Gnassingbé was elected president (Listofcountriesoftheworld.com 2012).

The five was I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family.
1.     Learn the language spoken in Togo.
2.     Learn who is the head of the family
3.     Learn things that offend their culture
4.     I would help connect them with people of their culture
5.     I would research the sufficiance behind why the United States was the country of choice?

I hope I will develop a deeper understanding of other cultures than the ones always studied in our classrooms.  I hope this will give me a chance to learn a new language.  I believe families will benefit by being having someone to greet them and understand their culute.  This will give them confindence build trust and make them feel comfortable.  I believe this will allow families to trust me and open up to me quicker.  This will show families that I respect them and their culture first and tha tthey are welcome in the United States of America.


Reference
www.listofcountriesoftheworld.com 2012. Country of Togo.

1 comment:

  1. Audrey,

    I never thought of someone's weight being a type of bias...but now I am enlightened. Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoyed your post!


    Janille

    ReplyDelete