Thursday, May 24, 2012


Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

This week I was at the park and over heard a group of teenagers talking.  They were using names talking about themselves.  I felt this was a mircoaggression something as an insult for me to hear people of color referring to each other as a “Nigger” instead of their birth name.

One microaggression I remember seeing more times than I would really want to say is how young black males get on to the elevator and white women start to clutch their purses.  Another micro- aggression happened when I was walking down the street with my son’s and white women started to cross the street to the other side.

I felt embarrass for the young because it was clear that they wear unaware of the meaning of our usage of the word.  

My observation experience this week affects my perception that Racism is subjective in that to the assumption that the word “Nigger” is bad does not include a sarcastic banter between two black friends.

7 comments:

  1. Audrey,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on micro-aggressions.

    It is sad that White people still have such negative feelings about African Americans. You would think that by 2012 people would be more enlightened and less aware of skin color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey,
      First I want to say, I am sorry for those micro aggressions. I have worked with black people for years and always have had a good experience. I had a little boy in my third grade class at the Indian School who wanted to bleach his skin so he would look more white. I told him to be proud of who he is and know that God loves him and it does not matter what people say about you, you are number one in God's plan.
      Gosh, this is hard, I have no intention of saying anything that hurts or has hidden messages. I am sensitive to people's feelings but I am human and say "stupid things" sometimes.
      Barbara

      Delete
    2. Barbara,

      You are fine! As, long as people like you keep standing to correct when you see micro aggressions. I believe we all have a chance.

      Delete
  2. Audrey:
    Thanks for sharing your stories--even though they made me sad. I dislike prejudice and wish people weren't so close minded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah,

      It, sure would be nice if people had never suffered at the hands of man. Then maybe just maybe things would not be the way society really is.

      Audrey

      Delete
  3. Audrey,
    It is interesting isn't it? I hear this often as I live in an area where there are many blacks. I have been called that my self as in what's up my N..? Sorry, the word bothers me I guess even to type. I've also been called Snow White and Snow Flake. That might sound pretty but it wasn't meant pretty and it didn't make me feel pretty. I'm just not sure why this is the way that it is except that it's life or the norm for some I guess. I also hate the elevator thing. I also notice when I'm in the car with my friends especially before automatic door locks. If they came to see me and we where in the car. If they saw a black person crossing the street they would lock their car doors. I always ask why but they never had an answer. Now I would agree that it is good to drive around with your doors locked but that's anywhere you go. This week as really shed light on microaggressions that are around us everyday including toward us that may have been suppressed.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, for your comment Ginny. I believe this class has helped us all.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete