Saturday, May 19, 2012


Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

My son expressed culture as being a race, and a range of how people celebrate.  He said, “Diversity is a different style of communication.

My friend of mine defines culture as customs, art, cooking social institutions and achievement of a country and nation of people.  She describes diversity as economics; a culture of people with varies forms of religion and structure of family.

My husband defined culture being people of all beliefs and behaviors.  A make up of people who have characteristics that are individualized.  Shared values and rules.  He defined diversity as creating an environment that reaches as many people as possible and respecting all people.

I believe that the aspects that believe that the aspects of culture and diversity I studied in this course are included in the answers I received from my son when he talked about celebrating.  The example is contained in the word celebrate which means food, clothing, history and religion.

One aspect I believe has been omitted is education.  An example of such omission would be children taught at home or quitting school once they become a certain age, girls not being educated.

I believe thinking about other people definitions of culture and diversity influenced my own thinking about these topics by allowing me to be more open-minded.  Help me to see others that have a different thought process.

2 comments:

  1. Audrey,
    I also liked your son's idea of celebration, the way people celebrate as a definition of culture. As I have experienced other cultures, I do agree that way people celebrate is a deep expression of culture.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey,
    I think you had some great definitions from others. Has your husband's definition been influenced at all by discussions you have had throughout this course or was that his understanding prior to any discussions? I am very impressed by the level of depth and understanding he has to the definition of culture. Very nice! Also your son saying celebration shows understanding and openess to others. Do they have multicultural celebrations in his school? Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete