Saturday, July 14, 2012

Changes in my Communication Skills



During this past week I did found myself communicating differently with colleagues and families. As I think back over the past weeks.  I noticed how I was choosing my words more carefully than I have since I started this course.   In addition I have been more aware of my body language than in past times.  A prime example was Friday, when I was in a training class for work and something was said that I did not agree with during the training.  The person I use to be would have said what came across my mind right then, but I remembered this week discussion about the “Platinum Rule”.  So I sat and gather my thoughts before I said anything in the training.   This, I felt was a better way of present information and myself and treating people the way I would like to be treated when communicating information.  This weeks resources has given me a chance to see the areas I need help in and what I need to improve in to help me as a person and a professional.

 I could use “code switching” and “style switching” to communicate with different types of people who’s culture is different than my own.

Taking the time out to think before commenting when communicates with people can help you choose your words more carefully.

Another good strategy to use is allowing a personal to express their selves totally before commenting.  This will give the person who is listening a chance to practice “emphatic listening.”

Reference:
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

2 comments:

  1. Audrey,
    We should stop and think and listen before we speak. I too would have been like a you a few weeks ago and just said what I thought. I is good that we are able to take some time and really think about the way we communicate. I believe we will be hearing and listening more effectively in our future. We also may be talking a little less. Although as advocates our role is to stand up and speak up, but part of that is also to understand before speaking.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey,
    I would agree that this course has made me more aware of language-verbal and non verbal communication styles. I am more aware of others' cues which has helped steer conversations. I would also agree that listening and thinking before we speak are very useful and beneficial strategies! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete