Saturday, July 28, 2012

Blog Assignment


Blog Assignment:
As I reflect over a conflict the one that comes to mind is an experienced I had with my daughter-in-law.  I will give you a brief example of the situation that happened between my daughter-in-law and myself.
 I had agreed that two of my grandson’s could come over my house from 8 am until 12 noon.  Each of their mothers agreed to pick them up at 12 o’clock pm.  One of the grandson’s mothers ran late in picking her son up from my house.  I had to drop him off actually with his uncle due to an appointment I had for later that afternoon.  I left her a message as to where her son was and about my appointment.  I thought everything was fine until later that week when she refused to answer my call.  After a while she did pick the telephone up and explained how she felt about me having to drop her son off with his uncle before she returned.  The biggest reason she was upset with me was due to not telling her I had appointment.  Even though, I had her to agree to a pick up time before leaving.  She thought I should have gone as far as to tell her my plans.
One strategy I learned in the case of communicating with my daughter-in-law is accepting a personal responsibility for how I communicate in the future with my daughter-in-law.  I now see that the way I communicate is a way of collaborating and learning to cooperate with one another.
After watching the “YouTube” video “natural giving” and to remember to “do the things that we know how to do” is what I learned.  I now know that when communicating with my daughter-in-law I need to fully communicate until we have a full understand of what she expects from me and what I expect from her before moving forward.  I also, learned how we all have challenges with the way we listen to others.  I believe I need to take in account the challenges one maybe experiencing when listening.  These challenges are considered “listening barriers”.  People can have things going on in the life, work, health that can prevent them from always hearing the full information.
References:
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St.    Martin's.
YouTube. (2010). The basics of nonviolent communication. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-129JLTjkQ

1 comment:

  1. Audrey,

    It's great that you have a plan for moving forward in your communication with your daughter-in-law. I hope that she is able to receive what you are sending out to her and that this helps to improve your relationship. One thing I would like to add is that it is important for each of us to remember that communication is not a one-way street. As we are working on our skills I wonder how we are going to help those that we are in constant communication with to sharpen their skills.

    ReplyDelete