Saturday, October 13, 2012

Start Seeing Diversity Blog: "We Don't Say Those Words in Class!"


Start Seeing Diversity Blog: "We Don't Say Those Words in Class!"

 

When my siblings and I were little I remember the first time we seen someone who appeared to be different because of the way they walked.  To us it was funny the way they walked and moved their arms to seem uncontrollable.  What I learned as I got older was that the person was diagnosis with Cerebral Palsy.  This is an action of the limbs that could not be helped.  Although this person was dealing with this type of motion of their body it had nothing to do with their mental capabilities.  My mom did a good job of correcting us from laughing and talking about the person.  But she fell short in using it as a teachable moment to explain to us what was happening to the individual and why it is not polite to laugh at anyone who appears to be different.  “She told us it was not nice and don’t do that again and if she ever seen us do it again she was going to get us.”


As I viewed the response of the adult in the media “Seeing Diversity: Physical Ability and Characteristics.” I thought the adult who was listening to the children complain about the lunch meals was so wrong to make the comment he did about “he see why he wants more food.”  This made my heart sink.  I was not expected that from this video.  I believe this type of comment to a young child could damage him for life.  These types of comments from adults are never forgotten, as we are about to learn by doing this assignment.  There will be stories told about young children or us that have always stayed with us.  In some ways we get over them and turn out okay and in our cases the thoughts are always with us.

An anti-bias educator would have taken the time to discuss the needs of the children.  He would have explained his company needs the needs of the state for them to follow but assured the children that he would report back all of his finding today and get back with them as soon as possible.  I believe this would be a way of communicating to the students they are important and what they are talking about is equally as important.  I don’t believe any smart comments were needed.  I believe the children needed to walked away as though they did what was right by speaking up for what was right and a feeling of empowerment as they completed the task.

Reference:

"Start Seeing Diversity: Physical Ability and Characteristics" (Approximate length: 4 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment