Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Year Teaching

My first year teaching was insightful.  One of my student's in my classroom had a very hard first year.  He is a student that can be very aggressive.  He spent that first year hitting me and other staff every day.  I tried every strategy there was to help him.  One day he again was having a rough day and I suggested that the music teacher work with him in the room.  That is when I got to see my student react to music with no problems.  As I stood at my file cabinet watching my student being engaged I just cried!  My tears mostly, was because I had recently been told that he would start going to school a half day.  I had all kinds of mix emotions wondering if we had did the right thing.  He did end up going a half day and has been very successful every since.

1 comment:

  1. Each experience only teaches us more, makes us stronger and gives us more insight. Every child not only deserves a chance but the means to create that opportunity is there and its a teachers job to find it and nurture it. I know you will never forget that little boy.

    ReplyDelete